As we age, our skin naturally begins to show wear. If your face is showing your age, there’s something you can do about it right now. Fight back with the SkinPen®, your secret weapon to obtaining better looking skin.
SkinPen® is the only FDA approved microneedling device. Microneedling is a minimally invasive skin rejuvenation procedure that helps minimize the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars and rejuvenate aging skin. The SkinPen® microneedling device causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate the body’s natural wound healing process. The micro-injuries trigger the release of cytokines and growth factors that lead to remodeling and production of new collagen and elastin.
SKINPEN® MICRONEEDLING FAQS
WHAT IS SKINPEN®?
SkinPen® is a medical grade, state-of-the-art microneedling device that stimulates skin repair through your body's natural remodeling process. Microneedling with SkinPen® allows for controlled induction of the skin's self-repair process by creating precise, micro-injuries in the skin that automatically trigger new collagen and elastin synthesis without causing scar tissue formation.
Microneedling is an innovative aesthetic medical treatment used to treat fine lines and acne scars, and to improve the skin’s texture and tone. During this procedure, tiny needles are used to create controlled micro-injuries to the skin in order to stimulate collagen and elastin production. SkinPen® is used and is clinically proven to improve the appearance of wrinkles, skin texture, facial acne scars and more for people with all skin types.
WHAT IS SKINPEN® + PRP?
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), facilitated by the SkinPen®, uses your skin’s natural properties and ability to repair damaged tissues. This allows your skin to look its very best. We pair SkinPen® microneedling with platelet-rich plasma treatment, also known as PRP treatment. PRP heals and rejuvenates your body’s delicate dermal tissue using your own blood platelets.
Using a small sample of your blood, the blood is spun, resulting in enriched plasma that can be applied where it is needed with the SkinPen®. The SkinPen® uses a microneedling process that creates mini injuries. As the skin heals with SkinPen® aftercare, the result is better-looking, youthful and smooth skin.
WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE?
A topical anesthetic is typically applied prior to a SkinPen® procedure. This allows for a comfortable experience for most people. Generally, patients report feeling just the slight vibration of SkinPen during the procedure.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR SKINPEN®?
SkinPen® can be used on all types of skin and helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and improve the look of acne scars. We do not perform this procedure on patients with active acne, to minimize the risk of skin irritation. The procedure takes about 30 minutes and has individualized settings for patient comfort. Many patients see healthier looking skin immediately, but damage to dermal collagen that has occurred over a long period also takes time for remodeling to take place. You may not see the final result for up to three to six months following your final session, but individual results will vary
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING MY TREATMENT?
Prior to the procedure, topical anesthetic will be used to minimize discomfort during treatment. The SkinPen® is applied to treatment area and moved around on the skin in a methodical fashion. The depth of treatment is adjustable, so it is safe to use on the entire face, as well as neck and even hands. Even delicate area around the eyes and around the mouth can be treated with minimal discomforwe will apply topical numbing solution to your skin before the treatment begins. This is to ensure your experience as comfortable as possible. Some patients experience minor sensitivity during the treatment, but most find the sensation mild.
If you choose to add PRP to your SkinPen microneedling treatment: We harvest PRP by drawing a bit of your blood and processing it in a centrifuge for several minutes. This rapid spinning separates the components of your blood. Once the red and white blood cells are removed from the plasma, the plasma is combined with the microneedling treatment.
For most individuals, the recovery process will last about 48-72 hours after a SkinPen treatment. You will also need to keep your skin hydrated after a SkinPen treatment and limit heat and UV exposure for the first couple of days. Your skin may be a bit sensitive at first and feel similar to a sunburn. SkinPen treatments can be repeated once every month and combined with other services.
IS THERE ANY DOWNTIME?
SkinPen® is unique in that it provides dramatic results with minimal downtime. Immediately after treatment, you will be red and may feel that the treated skin is tight. The inflammatory response the SkinPen® sets in motion feels like a sunburn, but the process in the skin is very different. The next day, you’ll probably be pink and may still feel a bit irritated, but you can put on makeup and go about your normal activities. For most individuals, the recovery process will last about 48-72 hours after a SkinPen treatment.
HOW LONG IS THE TREATMENT AND HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED?
The SkinPen® procedure typically takes between 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size and number of areas treated and the degree of treatment requested by the patient. Based on your needs, your SkinPen provider may apply a topical anesthetic to the skin prior to micro-needling. The topical numbing agent makes the SkinPen procedure comfortable and relatively pain-free. Most people report feeling just the slight vibration of SkinPen during the procedure.
The number of procedures required will be based upon your individual procedure goals and the overall health of your skin. Most patients receive a series of 3 procedures spaced about four weeks apart.For optimal results and maximum scar reduction, three to six treatments are recommended to be spaced out between four to six weeks. After the treatment, patients tend to experience mild redness and some swelling. These symptoms should be minimal and last no longer than a week.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
Microneedling helps reduce the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars, and rejuvenate aging skin.
• Minimally invasive procedure performed in-office with little recovery time
• Safe for all skin types, light to dark
• Effective on many body parts, including face, neck and décolletage
WHAT ARE THE PRE-TREATMENT AND POST-TREATMENT CARE INSTRUCTIONS?
- If you have active acne in area of treatment please call to reschedul
- Avoid sun exposure for one week prior to treatment.
- Please arrive with fully cleansed skin: no makeup, moisturizers, perfume, cologne, or any other products
on the skin.
- Avoid use of tretinoin, glycolic acid, exfoliants, Retin-A, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid 3-7 days prior to treatment as directed by your treatment provider.
- Topical numbing cream will be applied pre-treatment. Notify us of any medication allergies
Microneedling cannot be done while PREGNANT OR NURSING.
- No sun exposure, tanning beds, self-tanning products for 1 week prior to the procedure. Procedure
will be canceled if you are sunburned.
None of the following can be used or performed two weeks prior to treatment: chemical peels, waxing,
and chemical depilatories.
- If you have had other skin rejuvenation procedures in the past month, please discuss with your treatment provider beforehand. Procedures need to have adequate time spacing between them to avoid complications.
- After the treatment your skin will be red and flushed similar to a moderate sunburn. The redness should be
greatly reduced within 24-48 hours. During the healing process you may experience swelling, burning,
itching, bruising, soreness, skin tightness, flakiness, sensitivity and dryness. It may take up to 5-7 days for the
skin to heal depending on the extensiveness of your treatment. Make sure to wash your face with cool water and gentle cleanser, only gently pat your skin dry. Mineral based sunscreen with SPF of 30 should be applied and
reapplied every 60 -90 minutes while outdoors
- Use Ice packs or Tylenol for pain, but avoid anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin and Ibuprofen as these may decrease the wanted effects of the procedure.
- If you had PRP applied, do not wash off the PRP solution until the morning after your treatment.
- Avoid exercise for three (3) days following the procedure.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for fourteen (14) days following the procedure, ideally thirty (30) days after your treatment
- NO tanning beds, or self-tanning products for 7-14 days after procedure.
- NO vitamin A products 7 days post treatment (including Retin-A, Retinol, Tazorac).
- Do not pick or exfoliate the area treated. Picking or scrubbing at the skin can lead to skin irritation and complications.
- may be sensitive following treatment. Light flaking after treatment can sometimes occur following treatment. Do not pick, scratch or scrub away flaking. Picking or scrubbing at the skin can lead to skin irritation and complications.
- Use of makeup may be resumed the 48-72 hours after treatment. Apply and remove delicately.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and excessive heat for fourteen (14) days following the procedure, ideally thirty (30) days after your treatment. Skin will be more sensitive following treatment. Sun exposure can result in sunburn and pigment changes. Use caution when outdoors and always use SPF 30 or higher.
- Avoid hot water, swimming, Jacuzzi, steam rooms, yoga, and exercise for 3-7 days following treatment (until skin irritation has resolved). If irritation or sensitivity occurs with resumed activities, please discontinue and contact your treatment provider for further instructions.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
HOW DOES SKINPEN® MICRONEEDLING WORK?
The SkinPen® is a small handheld device that creates hundreds of micro-puncture wounds in the treatment area. Once these punctures have been made, the body immediately gets to work to repair the damage. To do this, the body increases production of collagen and elastin – the two building blocks for younger, smoother-looking skin.
As a result of just three treatments, clients can see improved skin tone and texture, as well as a minimization of wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and other complexion concerns.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR SKINPEN®?
SkinPen® is safe for patients of all ages and skin types. If you are interested in improving fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars or just want to rejuvenate tired-looking skin or achieve overall skin tightening – SkinPen® is the right treatment for you!
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FROM SKINPEN®?
Most of our patients will notice improvements in their skin just one short week after treatment. Initial results usually include improved skin tone, a reduction in acne visibility, and improved skin texture. Most clients see full results at between four and six weeks following treatment. This gives your body enough time to produce collagen and elastin and to send it to your micro wounds. At this point, you'll notice your skin looking both younger and healthier.
Improved appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Improved acne scars
Improved appearance of enlarged pores
More youthful skin
Connect With Us!